THE YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program helps overweight adults at risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk for developing the disease by taking steps that will improve their overall health and well-being.
Participants work together in a small group classroom setting to adopt and maintain healthier lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight. The program consists of 25 one-hour sessions delivered over the course of a year. Research has shown that participation in the program can reduce the risk of developing diabetes by 58% and by 70% for adults over the age of 60.
GET INVOLVED THIS NOVEMBER!
The Boston Celtics have teamed up with Sun Life Financial for the 6th annual #SunLifeDunk4Diabetes campaign where every time a Celtics player dunks during a game in November, $1,000 will be donated to the YMCA of Greater Boston Diabetes Prevention Program! Last year, #SunLifeDunk4Diabetes raised more than $100,000 for our Diabetes Prevention Program helping to improve the health and wellness in the Boston community.
You can get involved as well! Every time you post "#SunLifeDunk4Diabetes" on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram during the month of November, $1 will be donated to the YMCA of Greater Boston Diabetes Prevention Program. Team up with all of us to get a win over diabetes!
ARE YOU AT RISK?
Take this quick quiz to help determine if you may be at risk of developing diabetes or prediabetes.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE PROGRAM?
To participate in this program, you must be:
- Adults 18+
- Overweight (BMI>25)*
- At risk for or have been diagnosed with PREDIABETES†
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
- Blood test with one of the following results
- Fasting Plasma Glucose between100–125mg/dL
- 2-hour (75 gm glucola) Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dL
- A1c between5.7%and 6.4%
- If you don’t have a blood test result, you must have a qualifying risk score
*Asian individual(s) BMI > 22
*Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
A YMCA MEMBERSHIP IS INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM!
How it works:
- This is a 12-month program consisting of 16 weekly core sessions, followed by 3 bi-weekly sessions, and then 6 monthly sessions that is led by a trained lifestyle coach who facilitates a small group of people with similar goals.
- Discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals with monthly maintenance sessions.
- Lose 7% of your body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
You will do this by learning strategies for:
Healthy Eating——Eating smaller portions, reducing fat in your diet and discovering healthier food options has been proven to help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Increasing Physical Activity——Studies have repeatedly shown that moderate physical activity (walking, swimming, mowing the lawn) for as little as 30 minutes, five days a week can help improve your blood pressure, raise your good cholesterol and prevent blood flow problems.
Losing Weight——It has been shown that reducing your body weight by even a small amount (as little as 7%) can offer tremendous benefits for people at risk for diabetes.
Programs launching in 2020 at:
- Charlestown YMCA
- East Boston YMCA
- Parkway Community YMCA (West Roxbury)
- Thomas M. Menino YMCA (Hyde Park)
- Waltham YMCA
- Wang YMCA of Chinatown