- Our Cause
- Burbank YMCA
- Charles River YMCA
- Charlestown YMCA
- Dorchester YMCA
- East Boston YMCA
- Huntington Avenue YMCA
- International Learning Center
- North Suburban YMCA
- Oak Square YMCA
- Roxbury YMCA
- Thomas M. Menino YMCA
- Waltham YMCA
- Wang YMCA of Chinatown
- West Roxbury YMCA
- YMCA Achievers
- YMCA Overnight Camps
- YMCA Training, Inc.
- Work at the Y
Charles River - Day Camp Counselor
Position: Day Camp Counselor
Location: Charles River YMCA
Reports to: Camp Director
Hours: Full-time/ Non Exempt
Hourly Pay Range: $10-$13/Hour commensurate on experience
General Responsibilities: Provide program leadership and direct supervision to assigned group. Responsible for assisting with the implementation of a quality camp program. Activities should provide for growth in skills, self-awareness and group relations. Safety and the overall welfare of campers are of primary importance.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or have graduated High School.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent; some college and experience preferred.
- The individual should like children and have the ability to work with and understand the needs of children and a commitment to working with participants from a variety of backgrounds.
- Knowledge of group process -- must agree to work in harmony with other staff.
- Must be committed to carry out YMCA camp philosophy and goals.
- Must have effective communication skills.
- Must posses current First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Keeps safety of campers as the first priority. Emphasizes personal safety and emotional well being with campers, parents and other camp personnel at all times.
- By personal example, helps interpret the quality of YMCA values to campers, CIT's, parents and staff. Must be a positive role model.
- Uses positive, constructive methods of discipline/positive reinforcement, and ensures that all staff does the same.
- Plans and implements recreational and educational programs that emphasize group participation.
- Assists pool staff during daily swim instruction and aids lifeguards during free swim time. Bathing suits must be worn at all times while in the pool area.
- Keep daily attendance records for assigned group. Stays alert to camper needs. Frequently takes head counts, at the beginning, during and end of each activity period.
- Reports all accidents/unusual incidents immediately and assists with necessary documentation.
- Works with unit leader to develop and implement a plan for Time with Counselor time block.
- Assists with planning and implementing Camp Special Events and Family Night Activities.
- Posses a 7D license, to assist with transportation to and from camp and on field trips (if qualified).
- Assists with the coordination of camp activities. Actively participates in all aspects of camp program, including special events, openings, closings, and extended hours.
- Attends all staff meetings and training sessions. Becomes familiar with provided training materials.
- Communicates program information, problems and concerns as they occur.
- Maintains and cares for all program areas and supplies.
- Performs other duties as required by supervisor (remains flexible).
- Abides by the established YMCA/DPH day camp policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines and asks when in doubt.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit (at times on the floor with children) and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
How to apply:
To be considered for this position, please click on the link below and complete the online employment application.